The Champlain Valley Senior Community, the North Country's only enhanced assisted living and dementia care facility, will celebrate its second birthday with an open house and community-wide celebration on June 12th from 2-6pm. This free public event will feature educational presentations on dementia, Alzheimer's and aging issues, and tours of the community, BBQ and live music.
The Champlain Valley Senior Community is partnering with the SUNY Center for Neurobehavioral Health for this event, which will feature Dr. Durant, Clinical Neuropsychologist, as the keynote speaker. Case managers, social workers, and other related industry professionals are encouraged to attend any or all of the presentations.
The itinerary for the event is as follows:
- 2:00-2:45 PM- Dementia Overview - by Dr. Durant Learn about the different types of dementia and the symptomology associated with each type.
- 3:00-3:45 PM - Professional Q & A with Dr. Durant Professionals have the opportunity to drop in and consult one on one with Dr. Durant on difficult cases.
- 3:00-3:45 PM - Maintaining Independence Through Adaptive Equipment by Yvonne Lott and Jessica Mathews Learn about all of the adaptive equipment and devices available to assist seniors with limited mobility in maintaining more independence and enjoy a higher quality of life.
- 4:00- 4:45 PM - Why Do People With Dementia Do That?, Dr. Durant How to interpret dementia behavior as communication, while developing a better understanding of environmental triggers, and responding compassionately.
Breakout Sessions 2:00-2:45 PM/ 3:00-3:45 PM/ 4:00-4:45 PM:
- The Experience of Aging, by Valarie Drown In these interactive workshops get a sense of what it truly feels like, sounds like, and looks like through the eyes of a senior citizen grappling with sensory losses.
Other Festivities: 5 - 6 PM (and throughout the afternoon)
- Network and explore resource tables, listen to live music, and enjoy dinner at our outdoor BBQ picnic.
All presentations will be held in the CVSC Dining Room. Additionally, an Open House is scheduled for Tuesday, June 10th and Wednesday, June 11th from 9am-5pm. For more information on the Champlain Valley Senior Community and the anniversary celebration, please call 518-817-9108 and ask for Juliette.